Important Information Regarding COVID-19
June 1, 2020
Dear Valued Patients,
We are excited to share that the Governor’s office has now cleared Dentistry to resume for routine care. We are taking time this week to ensure that we are in compliance with the thorough health and safety guidelines that the State and Department of Health provided yesterday, and to train ourselves on the new procedures that have been put in place to protect both you as the patient and us as your health care providers. We will resume with routine cleanings and care on Monday, June 8th.
I would like to familiarize you with the steps that our office is taking to ensure your safety and that of our staff. I have spent much of my time over the last few months researching the virus and keeping up to date with all the recommendations made by the CDC, ADA, OSHA and Department of Health. You will notice some changes during your next visit. I assure you that our priority is to keep everyone healthy and safe. Even before the presence of Covid-19, dentistry required that we be well versed in infection control. With a few modifications to our normal routines, we are well prepared to treat you in a safe environment.
- Before your visit, we will call you to ask screening questions. If you have a fever, sore throat, cough, sudden loss of taste or smell, or otherwise feel ill, we will ask you to reschedule. If you or someone you live with has been asked to quarantine or isolate, we will ask you to reschedule. If you have been ill with and recovered from Covid-19, we ask that you inform the office.
- Although we anticipate minimal use of our waiting room at this time, it has been reconfigured to allow for social distancing. All reading material has been removed.
- When you enter the office, we ask that you wear a mask until you are seated in the treatment room and we have had the opportunity to check your temperature with a touch-free thermometer. We will have to reschedule anyone who presents with a temperature over 100.4 F, as recommended by the CDC.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for patient use.
- We will be staggering appointment times in order to minimize the number of people in our common areas. We ask that you come to your appointment by yourself, unless you need assistance or the patient is a minor. We also ask that you stay in your car until your appointment time.
- We have added air filters to all treatment rooms, with HEPA and UV-C cleaning capacity.
- Appropriate time will be left between patients to allow for thorough disinfection and airborne droplet removal.
- You will be asked to rinse with a peroxide-based mouthwash prior to treatment.
- We will be limiting ultrasonic instrument use for cleanings, so you will notice increased use of hand instruments. We also have new high-speed suction aides for use during cleaning visits.
- Staff health will be monitored vigilantly with daily temperature checks and screening questions.
- You will notice an increased use of PPE by our staff, especially during procedures. All staff will be wearing masks when we greet you, including Debbie at the front desk. We will all be smiling as usual… it may just be a little harder to notice!
- Common areas will be disinfected multiple times a day, including the bathroom which will be disinfected after each use.
In addition to the above precautions, we will continue to adhere to our already strict infection control guidelines. We use medical-grade disinfectant certified by the EPA to kill COVID-19 (and many other pathogens). Our sterilization protocols are closely monitored, and equipment is well maintained. We use a combination of disposable barriers and instruments in addition to our sterilized equipment to ensure your safety. As we are preparing for reopening, we will be doing our annual training in infection control with special attention to the current situation.
We ask for your patience with rescheduling missed cleanings. We will do our absolute best to accommodate the many, many patients from the last few months who have had to postpone care. We are eager to get everyone back on their routine cleaning schedule and make sure that everyone stays healthy. It will be our pleasure to see you again soon, and if you have any questions about your health or our current protocols PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US at (518)374-6845.
Jennifer Kluth DMD